A deadly outbreak of diphtheria has swept through Mbutu Community in Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area (LGA) of Imo State, leading to the loss of several children’s lives and forcing the immediate closure of schools in the area. Local officials confirmed the outbreak on Sunday, with health teams now working round the clock to contain the spread. While the exact number of casualties remains unconfirmed, community members and officials describe the situation as deeply troubling.
“The diphtheria claimed the lives of the children less than a week after its outbreak,” said Iheukwumere Alaribe, Chairman of Aboh Mbaise LGA, in a statement issued on May 26. He confirmed that the local government acted swiftly to shut down schools and initiate public health measures. “We could not allow learning to continue under such a threat. Our priority is to save lives,” he stressed.
Diphtheria, a highly contagious infection caused by Corynebacterium diphtheriae, spreads mainly through respiratory droplets or direct contact with infected individuals or surfaces. According to health officials, the outbreak in Mbutu has been fast-moving. “The situation demanded urgent action,” said Godspower Dike, spokesman for the local government chairman. “We had no choice but to close all schools in the affected community and urge parents to keep their children indoors.”
An emergency isolation centre has now been established at the Mbutu Health Centre, where suspected cases are being treated and monitored. “Health workers have been deployed to manage the crisis,” Dike explained. “We are quarantining children who may have been exposed, while also providing care and counseling for families who have lost loved ones.” He noted that the World Health Organisation (WHO), the Imo State Ministry of Health, and Aboh Mbaise health workers are collaborating on the response.
Alaribe called on parents to take urgent preventive steps, especially through vaccination. “In light of this outbreak, parents who have not yet vaccinated their children are strongly urged to do so without delay,” he said. “Vaccinations are crucial for preventing the spread of diseases and protecting our children’s health.” Officials warned that children who have not received routine immunisation are at heightened risk of contracting the disease.
Dike also appealed for public calm, noting that unnecessary panic could disrupt the coordinated response efforts. “We encourage the public to remain calm and cooperate with the relevant authorities as we work to control this outbreak. Updates will be provided as more information becomes available,” he added. Health teams have also begun community sensitisation to dispel myths and misinformation surrounding the outbreak.
Diphtheria continues to be a serious public health threat in Nigeria. According to data from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC), the country has recorded 25,812 confirmed cases and 1,319 deaths from diphtheria between 2022 and March 2025. “These numbers are a clear reminder that routine immunisation must be prioritised,” said a health official in Imo who asked not to be named. “We cannot afford to be complacent.”
Similar tragedies have unfolded elsewhere. Earlier this month, two children died from diphtheria in Tukur-Tukur community, Zaria, Kaduna State. Health experts are warning that unless immunisation rates improve, outbreaks will continue to resurface. “This is a preventable disease,” the official stressed. “We must stop losing children to illnesses we have vaccines for.”



































